Welcome!

One year, one internship, and the opportunity of a lifetime.....

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcome!

Intern Class '11 at Orientation in Hanover, NH
For the upcoming year, I will be embarking on a year long internship based in Cape Town, South Africa. I will be working for Grassroot Soccer, a non-profit organization that uses soccer as a social vehicle to teach HIV/AIDS education and prevention. The curriculum focuses on behavior modification and empowering young African boys and girls with the knowledge and skills to lead a healthy life. Grassroot Soccer depends on local staff and coaches to implement the Skillz program and to serve as role models for the children. Often times, professional soccer players from around the area will volunteer their time for tournaments or even volunteer to be tested publicly at a VCT, a voluntary counseling and testing tournament. GRS aims to combat the stigma of HIV/AIDS in South Africa and help fight one of the greatest epidemics of our time. 

I will be serving as an operations intern, which means that I will not be in the field every day interacting with the kids but rather will be working behind the scenes at the Cape Town office. I will be devoting my time towards financial management of the budget, grant proposal and fundraising, and lending a helping hand wherever needed. 

Grassroot Soccer covers half of the expenses of my internship, and I am responsible for raising the second half, or $10,000. I would appreciate any support you might be able to give. If you donate to Grassroot Soccer through the Google Checkout button on my blog page, the funds will be used to directly support my work in South Africa. You may also send a check to Grassroot Soccer with my name in the memo, to PO Box 850 Norwich, VT 05055. All donations to Grassroot Soccer, a registered 501©3, are tax deductible.

Thanks so much for checking out my blog and please continue to do so throughout the year!


2 comments:

  1. Safe travel to Capetown. We are excited about your opportunities to help Grassroot Soccer over the next year (but will miss you terribly)! Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog already feels like a great way for us to live your experience through your eyes! Keep the cards and letters coming!! :) love, M&D

    ReplyDelete