Welcome!

One year, one internship, and the opportunity of a lifetime.....

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Day in Cape Town :)

Table Mountain, Cape Town



Finally arrived in Cape Town! We landed in South Africa around 7:30 am on Tuesday morning. My five roommates and I were picked up at the airport by a previous intern from last year who brought us to our new home in the Gardens District of Cape Town. Our house is really basic but in a great neighborhood that is in walking distance to pretty much everything we will need, such as groceries, the GRS office, and the downtown scene. The apartment itself has two rooms downstairs which has been designated as the "Man Cave" and home to our two guy roommates, Andrew and Charlie. the upstairs has two double rooms and a single room, a full kitchen, living room, and a great deck that looks out to the street. After taking some time to unpack, I took a short run around the neighborhood to orient myself and enjoy the beautiful Cape Town winter. Winter here is nothing like at home, with blue skies and mid 60s forecasts. Absolutely incredible. Cape Town is also ALOT hillier than good 'ol Rhode Island. Nevertheless, it was awesome to explore my new neighborhood and take in the view of Table Mountain. We can see this right from our outside deck.

Kitchen

Living Room/Family Room

My room (my bed is the one with the orange pillows.....sleeping bad as a comforter in the winter is a MUST!)

Our first day in Cape Town was actually a national holiday, Women's Day, so the city was a bit deserted and quiet. However, I got a great feel for the city and was so excited for the first day of work....tomorrow! I couldn't wait. 

It was really incredible being back in South Africa. After having been here just a year ago, I was infused with a rush of wonderful memories from my study abroad experience during the World Cup. Although I was hundreds of Km away in Durban, I got the same feel in Cape Town and absolutely loved it. The best part about it was that rather than just six weeks, I would be here for a FULL YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment