Welcome!

One year, one internship, and the opportunity of a lifetime.....

Monday, September 12, 2011

Running around Cape Town

Running has always been a passion of mine. As many of my fellow running gurus know, there is nothing in the world like waking up at dawn, tying up those shoe laces and heading out the door to be greeted by the rising sun. Rain or shine, it is quite possibly the best way to start the day. Fresh, crisp air, the sun beaming on your face, and a full world outside just waiting to be explored. 

The best part of running for me is that it is an opportunity each and every day to explore my surroundings. My best runs have always been those where I don't plan ahead, take a few left and right turns unknowingly, and work my way back home. I've come across amazing things by just getting lost and taking in my surroundings. Running in Cape Town has been no different. I have absolutely loved running around my neighborhood and developing a familiarity with the area. I feel like each week I find something new and exciting that is just a few minutes away from where I've been living all along. It's been the best way for me to grow familiar with Cape Town and it has helped me feel much more comfortable with my surroundings. 

My daily running route around the neighborhoods

I quickly came to realize about five minutes into my first run here that Cape Town is MUCH more hillier than Rhode Island. As a matter of fact, the two don't even compare. But I've always had a nag for hill running and fortunately, I've really enjoyed the challenge. Each morning, I venture out around my neighborhood and run up toward the base of Table Mountain through gorgeous neighborhoods on the hills of the mountain. I love getting to see all the school children heading off to school in their school uniforms while their parents are dressed in snappy suits and ties. After cresting the hill tops in the surrounding neighborhoods, I make my way back down the mountain and the view could not be prettier. The whole cityscape stretches down below and if I time it correctly, the rising sun paints the sky         a beautiful orange. 


Water Reservoir...view from Lion's Head Mountain
On most mornings, my descent down  the mountain ends at the water reservoir about 1/4 mile from my house. There is an 800 meter cement track around the water reservoir that is populated day and night by runners like myself. It is a gated area with guards at both ends so I feel extremely safe in the area. I can't help but think back to the days I used to run around the Barrington High School Track. Fortunately, this track offers much better views not only of the city bowl down below, but of Table mountain on one side and Lions Head on the other. At every turn around the track, it's a breathtaking site. Lots of times I'll forget how long I'm even running along the reservoir because I get lost in the pure beauty. Luckily, I usually make it back to reality in time to realize that the 9 a.m. work day doesn't wait for runners like myself lost in a daze.  

View from Dog Park
 One of my favorite discoveries from running is the amazing dog park just around the corner from my house. The dog park is a great venue where dogs run at their free will and play with each other while their owners have picnics on the green grass or read on the many benches nearby. Lots of people don't even have pets but simply go for strolls in the park or set up a blanket to enjoy the afternoon.  The first time I ran through the park, I couldn't believe it had taken me two weeks to find this great place. Trees and green grass populate the entire park, a beautiful large fountain sits in the center of the park, and there  are SO many dogs. I'm a big dog lover so the park is a great place to live vicariously through others.

 
Large Fountain in the middle of the Dog Park

The best part about the park is that each night around 5 pm, there is doggy school, where dogs are taught to sit, stay, heel, and be obedient. I literally laughed out loud as I saw this because I couldn't help but think about the time that my family and I took our own dog Striker to Doggy School only to find out that two days later, he would be a Doggy School drop-out, earning an F in the course. Needless to say, we all knew he was special to begin with.











More of the Dog Park
Just last weekend, I ventured on a long run to the Promenade, which is a 3 mile boardwalk all along the coastline. It was the most beautiful run I have taken since I've been here. Despite the grey overcast weather, I felt at home by the ocean. The boardwalk was streaming with walkers, joggers, young and old. It was so beautiful. I definitely plan on marking this route as one of my favorites for the longer weekend runs!

Waterfront Promenade

No comments:

Post a Comment